Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Ax Cop. Do yourself a favor...



Flashback
As of late I've been reflecting back on my childhood. Nothing is like a child's imagination. When I was very young my best friend and I developed our own unique etiquette and framework for roll play and playing with toys. Essentially we would design and create all the characters, set up their motivations and back stories, create a plot, and split it into three acts. Then we would play the whole thing out like a movie, making up all the details as we went. Sometimes we would draw pictures of the characters. Early on the pictures were absurd and quite amusing. You look at them and say "only a 7 year old could come up with something like this". Adults can’t simulate that raw detachment from the rules and reality, and that is what is so great about my latest discovery.

Ax Justice
Ax Cop is a web comic by brothers Malachai and Ethan Nicolle. The brothers were 5 and 29 respectively when the series began in 2009. Younger brother Malachai comes up with stories and his older brother Ethan draws the comic. The comic is about a cop that wields a fireman’s ax and his sidekick Flute cop, who is promptly turned into dinosaur soldier among other things as the series progresses. The two take their blunt 5 year old sense of justice and fight crime. Popularity exploded around the comic and it went on to receive enough acclaim to be adapted to TV. In July of 2013 the first season of the show aired on fox. There are 12 mini episodes at 11 minutes each that I am queuing up to watch after school ends for the semester. If they do the comic justice I might post a series review.

Conclusions
The comic itself is absurdly amusing to say the least. It gives you a surreal look back in time to your inner child’s sensibilities and it’s hilarious. The trans-formative abilities of blood in the comic is probably my favorite wildcard. I loved when Sockarang, the hero whose arms are socks that can detach and fly like boomerangs, faced off with Bad Santa. When his boomerang sock returns with blood on it he turns into Good Bad Santa with sock arms. I read it when I was in my schools computer lab and I could hardly keep from bursting into laughter. Ax Cop is absurd fun.
                                                                                                                                                                  
Recommended

Ax Cop Web Comic archive link. I recommend starting at "The Beginning"

No comments:

Post a Comment